Our Beacon Forum Index Back to Homepage
Our Beacon
Salamun alaikum!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Black Seed" (nigella) ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Our Beacon Forum Index -> General Discussions and News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crschatz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: "Black Seed" (nigella) ??? Reply with quote

Salaamun alaikum,

Can anybody tell me the basis for the belief that black seed has medicinal properties? It's not mentioned in the Qur'an. I'm assuming it's mentioned in hadith, but is there any scientific evidence supporting the belief that it has medicinal properties? Is anybody aware of any studies concerning black seed published in peer-reviewed journals? (I use it only when cooking some Indo-Pak or Middle Eastern foods.)

Wassalam,
Dr. Shabbir
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sister,

Nice to know that you cook subcontinental food. Smile

"QALONJI" (Persian, Urdu) = "HABBAH SAUDAH" (Arabic) = Black seed (Common name), is the seed of a plant, Nigella sativa or Vicia nigra sativa (Botanical name).

It is mentioned in a Hadith, "There is cure in QALONJI for everything but death."

Many Muslim doctors and others (including myself when I was in my early thirties) have been conducting clinical trials and chemical studies on it for centuries until now. Unfortunately, no one has detected any verifiable, conclusive encouraging results.

To my knowledge, non-Muslim scientists have not worked on it.

The Hadith seems to be fabricated. The exalted Prophet might not have made a sweeping statement like this. Still, I would leave some room that the studies have been deficient.

Last edited by Dr. Shabbir on Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:21 am; edited 3 times in total
Nadir

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Kalongi "Black Seed" Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigella_sativa

Nigella sativa has hypertensive, carminative, and anthelminthic properties.[citation needed] They are eaten by elephants to aid digestion.

Scientific Research

Black cumin oil contains nigellone, which protects guinea pigs from histamine-induced bronchial spasms[citation needed] (perhaps explaining its use to relieve the symptoms of asthma, bronchitis, and coughing).

The presence of an anti-tumor sterol, beta sitosterol, lends credence to its traditional use to treat abscesses and tumors of the abdomen, eyes, and liver.[3]

Nigella Sativa oil is known to have opioid agonistic properties.[4]

[edit] Anti-parasitic

Anticestodal effect of N. sativa seeds was studied in children naturally infected with the respective worm. A single oral administration of 40 mg/kg of N. sativa seeds and equivalent amount of its ethanolic extract were effective in reducing the egg count in the faeces, with a comparable effect to niclosamide. The crude extracts also did not produce any adverse side effects from all the doses tested.[5]

In 1998, Korshom et al. investigated the anti-trematodal activity of N.sativa seeds against a ruminant fluke (Paramphistomum) in sheep.[6] The methanol extract (1 ml/kg) and powder (200 mg/kg) showed high efficacy, comparable to Hapadex (netobimin, 20 mg/kg). (NOTE: methanol is transformed in the body to formaldehyde, and such raw extracts would not be used in a formulated product.)

In 2005, Azza et al. studied the anti-schistosomicidal properties of aqueous extract of N. sativa seeds against Schistosoma mansoni miracidia, cercariae, and the adult worms in vitro. It showed strong biocidal effects against all stages of the parasite and also inhibited egg-laying of adult female worms. [7]

In 2007, Abdulelah and Zainal-Abidin investigated the anti-malarial activities of different extracts of N.sativa seeds against P. berghei. Results indicated strong biocidal effects against the parasite.[8][9]

[edit] Thymoquinone & Pancreatic Cancer Treatment

Researchers at the Kimmel Cancer at Jefferson in Philadelphia have found that thymoquinone, an extract of nigella sativa seed oil, blocked pancreatic cancer cell growth and killed the cells by enhancing the process of programmed cell death, (apoptosis). While the studies are in the early stages, the findings suggest that thymoquinone could eventually have some use as a preventative strategy in patients who have gone through surgery and chemotherapy or in individuals who are at a high risk of developing cancer.

UmeAimon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salam all,

Dear sister the black seed has indeed some significance but not because of some hadith but like many other herbs Allah SWT has made it usefull. There is whole branch of science that deals with herbal medicine and in the era when muslims where true muslims it got very advanced but since much of Islamic true science literature (other than the beloved ahadith)Rolling Eyes was delibretely destroyed one cannot find any continued researches under proper government.

I know many of our contemporary Allopethic doctors really do not agree any other form of medicine Smile but the reality is that TIB, as we call it here, is a branch of science that deals with herbal medicine cures and is very effective. One can still find few people that know cures from the herbs only and they are very effective if you know the right prescription. I have quite a few very effective cures I got to know from my mother and grandmother and have been using them all my life.

thank you

UmeAimon
crschatz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: herbal cures Reply with quote

Dear Sister, Salaamun alaikum,

I do believe that there are many herbal cures that were discovered a long time ago and this knowledge is beginning to be tapped as people reaize the limitations of Western ("modern") medicine. (One example: an ancient Chinese treatment/cure for malaria has proven very effective in clinical trials. Quinine and chloroquinine are now failing as the malaria plasmodium has developed immunity.) Is it possible that you could email me some of your information about herbal treatments and or cures for various conditions? I really try to gather and use this knowledge. (I fear that when the older generation passes, we will have lost much knowledge of medicinal plants.)

Wassalam,
Dr. Shabbir
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sister, AA

I will wait for our Sister UmmAimon's response.
Being a medical doctor, I still trust in quite a few Eastern remedies. There is no danger of the knowledge getting lost. Numerous practitioners of the Eastern medicine are very popular in India and Pakistan. The Chinese have their own different system.

I am more skeptical of Homeopathy because of the wrong principle it is based on: More dilute the medicine, more effective it is. And they frequently hold a plumb line above many bottles and pick the one where it stops!
UmeAimon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salam salam,

Good to hear you're interested dear sister and Dr. Shabbir. I have some cures for common day to day problems, but my problem is lack of vocabulary Smile But perhaps Dr. shabbir and other members of the forum can help out. But yes thats true the research has not stopped just not as popular I guess plus i heard tib is not only about herbs but about fruits vegetables and some naturally occuring chemicals or compunds also..

While searching for herbs on internet I did came accross very usefull site where there is a lot more.

I would love to share but only those which I have tried myself and on my family on this forum so anyone can try but remember I am no qualified doctor and few I have that I have not tried myself yet so do not think it will be wise to tell.
For a quick fix of high blood pressure mix 1 teaspoon of apple cider vineger and 1 teaspoon of pure honey in 1 cup luke warm. This I tried on my husband thats why I am telling you Wink because he has got blood pressure now and the medicine doctor prescribed was not available so I gave him that to try and it worked so well for him that he asked me for it again next day but permant cure is something else that needs to be taken for several days before eventually blood pressure is totally controlled. Since he has not tried it yet so I should not be telling.
A garlic a day will lower your bad colesterol without any medicine. It's very common and tried too.
For both constipation and loose motions we use isabaghual mixed with warm milk and water respectively. It's very common in subcontinent.
For severe loose motions that seem to be viral just half teaspoon of dried mountain mint leaves and half teaspoon of aniseeds(i hope its the name for saunf) boiled in two glasses of water till it becomes one glass. Drinking it not only relieves stomach pain but severe diherea also.

Thats all for now. Try these if they work for you and do let me know.

thanks

UmeAimon
crschatz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Remedies from herbs and culinary spices Reply with quote

Salaams,

Sister, thanks so much for writing. I think the English name for saunf is actually fennel seed; is it fatter than jeera (cumin) and kind of a grayish-greenish color? That would be fennel seed. Anise seeds are smaller than cumin but about the same color. Western herbal medicine also recommends fennel seeds for indigestion--either boiling them in water to make an extract or slowly chewing them before swallowing (a great remedy for bad breath, at any rate).

Ginger is extremely useful for motion sickness---probably better than the drugs available. It's also great for general nausea, colds, flu, etc. Cassia cinnamon and cardamom are also considered very good for digestion. I think haldi (turmeric) is very useful for topical application for cuts and boils. And of course pretty much everybody uses honey for sore throats and reduction of congestion---but it is also a very good topical treatment for wounds at risk of becoming infected, especially the manuka (tea tree) honey from New Zealand. And of course "regular" tea cures everything--at least in my family Wink!

I once heard (on TV) a homeopathic practitioner giving a lecture and trying to justify the belief that extremely dilute solutions of various homeopathic remedies could be effective. (How a solution that's about 0.1 nanogram per liter of "active ingredients" could possibly work escapes me...) But he said (and I'm not making this up) that the very dilute solution would work because the water had the "memory" of the active ingredient. I think that's about the craziest thing I've ever heard anybody say concerning what is essentially chemistry. In twenty years as an analytical chemist, my solutions have never remembered anything!

I apologise for rambling, but one last thing about herbal medicine: be very careful about heavy metal (lead, mercury, arsenic, cadmium) contamination. This problem has been shown to occur in preparations from China, India, Pakistan, and the U.S. (The U.S. problem was a little suprising to me but if the ingredients are grown in countries that permit heavy metal pesticides--the U.S. does not--or have arsenic soil contamination, then these remedies prepared in the U.S. will also be contaminated. And just remember: the U.S. does NOT regulate "nutritional suppliments" including herbal medicines. If you want to be really safe, try to buy these remedies from a country that does regulate them, like Germany.) Also, a side note: most dried chile products from Mexico--widely sold in the U.S., even at Asian markets--do have lead contamination from the lead based pesticides that Mexico still permits.

Sorry for my endless post!

Wassalam,
UmeAimon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salam,

It took so long for the previous reply to get posted, hope this one doesn't take that much time. I forgot to write water in the blood pressure cure. it's "luke warm water".
and the site for herbal cures

http://www.herbsandcures.com/

And yes i forgot to ask dear Dr. Shabbir why are you against the poor homeopathy. It had worked really well for me over the years. I could not find any cure for eczema in allopathey and got cured from homeopathy medicine. Also when my son tonsilitus got so bad that doctors evetually told there's no other way but to get them operated, I went for homeopathey and alhumdulillah he never needed any surgury after that. His tonsills still get swollen sometime once in years but he recovers soon without use of any antibiotic. My husbands kidney and bladder stones came out with homeopathy medicine. In fact it was an allopathy doctor who, when the stones were detected through ultra sound, recommended homeopathy medicine. I know many allopathy doctors who go for this form of medicine including my sister in law. They have now introduced it as an alternate medicine for the students of medicine in King Edwards Medical University for those who want to study it.

The only thing is that it's widely misunderstood and they way it is practiced specially in Pakistan is all wrong. The myth that they don't have any side effect is also wrong. I spoke to a very well qualified homeopathy doctor and he told me if taken in wrong consistency and mix it can harm your body, but most of the time it's harmless.

It's just another alternate form of medicine with continued research and development being done for many years.
In Germany it's just like the case of conventional western medicine, with own research facilities and universities to get qualified as a homeopathic physician.

I think there is no more harm in trying alternate medicine if it has being tried for so many years.

thanks

UmeAimon
Dr. Shabbir
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respected sister UmmeAimon, AA

I am not against Homeopathy. Only, their basic principles do not sound scientific and I have no personal experience with it.

This life-long student always has an open mind. Your thoughts are very precious for me and I certainly honor your experiences. So, I may be wrong.

The reason it takes long for posts to appear is that I am the only one to download them and I now sit before the computer only once a day. The reason: My prolonged recovery from the damage done by Vitamin B12 deficiency and my mother's continued heart problems.

Thanks for your patience!

May Allah bless you!
Dr. Shabbir
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sister Courtney,

Your posts are always precious. Kindly continue sharing your wisdom with us.

As Sister UmmeAimon said, Fennel, Mint, (add Cardamom small greenish yellow one, and not the large black one) decoction (boiled extract to a brownish hue, cooled down) is almost an unfailing and fast recipe for vomiting, diarrhea, and severe gastrointestinal cramps.

ISPAGHOL HUSK is better than its seeds for chronic constipation. One to two teaspoonfuls taken daily is the safest remedy for it. No tolerance or loss of efficacy develops to it after prolonged use. It is a bulk laxative. I think, products like Metamucil use Ispaghol seeds and they are not nearly as effective.

JOSHAANDA boiled and drunk rather hot is extremely soothing in common cold, nasal allergies, headaches and flu.

The topical use of diluted honey on wounds and eye infections, drinking it for bodyache, muscle cramps, anxiety or panic attacks and general weakness has been reported to be effective. Diabetics should not drink it more than a teaspoonful per day.
shahalam66

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for interruption.

Let's visit Sister Crschatz's original question once again.

"Can anybody tell us the basis of the BELIEF that black seed has medical properties?"

I would rather modify the question to read:

" Can anybody tell us the established scientific facts through pharmaceutical inquiries that black seed really has medical properties?"

Medication is mere inquiry than belief. Otherwise its a totka (superstition). Medication without knowledge provides opposing mental attitude and this question will keep repeating unless it is therapeutically established. And more importantly this seed is dispensed in MD offices.
UmeAimon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

salam All,

Good point brother Shahalam. Dear dr. Shabbir you have a lot more knowledge than me. And seems like sister Courtney knows much about herbs and alternate cures too. Smile We can keep posting and sharing these valuable remedies here for the benifit of all brothers and sisters. Perhaps we can do it under another heading where everyone can share the common remedies they have used.

jazakAllah

UmeAimon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Our Beacon Forum Index -> General Discussions and News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: