Our Beacon Forum Index Back to Homepage
Our Beacon
Salamun alaikum!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

O You who have chosen to be graced with belief!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Shabbir
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: O You who have chosen to be graced with belief! Reply with quote

Sister Nighat Ara from India has asked me the reason for my rendition, O You who have chosen to be graced with belief! in QXP.

Here is my humble explanation.

2:104 O You who have chosen to be graced with belief! Never say to the Prophet, "RA’INA - listen to us.” Instead, say, "UNZURNA - Grant us attention!” And then listen intently. There is a painful consequence for the rejecters of the Divine Commands.

[‘Ya ayyuhallazeena aamanu’ is generally, but inaccurately, translated as “O You who believe!”, “O Believers!”, “O You of faith! O Faithfuls!” Firstly, ‘aamanu’ is a verb. Secondly, attaining to belief must be an act undertaken after due reflection and with free will. ‘Passive’ faith such as claiming to be a ‘believer by birth’ has no merit in the Sight of Allah. See 4:136, 12:108. Also, choosing to believe in Truth is a great blessing of Allah. Hence, my rendition: O You who have chosen to be graced with belief!]

[‘Ra’ina’ with a slight twist of the tongue and in very similar Hebrew words has derogatory meanings to it, e.g. “Be our shepherd”, “O Our proud one”, “May deafness befall you.” Some Hebrews resorted to these kinds of insults to the Prophet. (4:46) The Lesson is this: Be not ambiguous or vague and speak words straight to the point. (33:70)]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Our Beacon Forum Index -> Q&A All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: