Charring the very being of a mortal,
Over it are nineteen. [Nineteen = Many vices and character traits that push peopleto the Fire of Regret]
The nineteen that come to my mind from the Qur?an are as follows: (They could be the tell-tale signs ? "visibly" written on the tablet of an individual?s life. Of course, this list of nineteen can be improved with further reflection).
1. Shirk = Associating others with Allah. Accepting human authorities parallel to Divine Revelation. Sectarianism. Idol worship in any form. Being content with man-made systems. Worshiping graves, saints, ancestors or one's own desire. Blind following or accepting religious information without discernment. Failing to use the Divine Word as the Criterion.
2. Ithm = Actions that deplete individual and collective potential. Destroying human lives. Lewd behavior. Discouraging productive work. Causing fear or grief byany means. Indulgence in pursuit of pleasure. (Inner peace, pleasure and contentment are the natural consequence of an upright life).
3. ?Udwan = Creating wedges of discord between people. Causing dissension. Spreading disorder and corruption. Promoting racial, sectarian and nationalistic hatred.
4. Israf = Wasting resources or one?s own ?Self?. Crossing limits. Moving away from moderation. Committing excesses in any aspect of life including Religion. Breaking the Bounds of Law and decent behavior given in the Qur?an. Using intoxicants that waste the human 'Self'.
5. M?asiah = Rebelling against Allah and the rightly guided Central Authority. Bloody crimes in the earth. Disruptive behavior. Disobedience of the Word of Allah and the Messenger as embodied in the Qur?an. Gambling and usury.
6. Sayyeh = Destabilizing the lives of others. Failing to fulfill the rights of others. Injustice. Inequity. Deceiving in business orother dealings. Falling short in discharging duties. Favoritism.
7. Zulm = Relegating the Truth or displacing anything from its rightful place. Oppressing people. Violating human rights. Hurting others or one?s own ?Self?. Doing wrong to Allah's creatures and environment, and to one's own 'Self'. Enslaving bodies and minds.
8. Ifk = Backbiting. Evil scheming. Defaming. Undue criticism. Trying to find fault. Slander. Presenting the 'heard' as 'seen'. Alarmist behavior.
9. Zann = False assumptions about people. Condemnation without investigation. Slander. Falling for superstitions. Belittling the Truth. Following conjecture. Staying out of touch with reality.
10. Jurm = Stealing the fruit of others? labor. Violating human rights. Being guilty of living subhuman life. Witnessing for falsehood. Depriving others from their rights. Devouring others' possessions. Not giving share where it is due.
11. Takabbur = False pride. Arrogance. Self-glorification. Holding others in contempt. Refusing to learn and unlearn. Insisting on blind following. Refusing to admit fault. Being forward before the Messages of Allah. To shun the Truth. Thinking that 'I know it all'. Holding material goods higher than virtue.
12. Ghill = Harboring malice in the heart. Failing to forgive people. Looking forward to take revenge. Plotting to hurt physically, financially or emotionally. Being hateful. Opposition for the sake of opposition. Incriminating others for personal reasons.
13. Ghadhab = Anger. Letting loose emotions. Succumbing to desire. Yelling at others. Intimidating the weak. Losing self-control. Impulsive attitude.
14. Sharr = Harming others or one?s own self. Weakening the good potential in others. Injuring people physically or emotionally. Harming the society by any means. Bad conduct.
15. Bhukhl = Niggardliness. Hoarding. Withholding own wealth and person from serving humanity. Apathy toward the needy. Not spending wealth and person in the Cause of Allah or on His creatures. Being greedy.
16. Laghw = Wasting precious time. Idle talk. Meaningless assemblies. Conspiring. Senseless play and pastime.
17. Sadd = Barring oneself or others from the Path of Allah. Putting forward human thoughts above or before the Divine Revelation. Hindering immigration from the domain of evil. Antagonizing the Word of God. Presenting falsehood as truth. Misleading people with conjecture. Hindering the way to promote and establish the Qur'anic System of life.
18. Mujaadilah = Argument for the sake of argument. Opposing Divine Messages. Creating disputes and prolonging them. Confusing human thought. Obstructing progress with rhetoric.
19. Kufr = Denial of the Truth. Being ungrateful for blessings. Concealing the Truth. Choosing to live in the darkness ofignorance. Knowingly oppose the Truth. Persisting with ancestral views. Trying to be with the majority without discernment]
We have appointed none but universal laws to be the keepers of the Fire. And We
have made this number (nineteen) a trial for unbelievers. But believers who
have been given this Book will harbor no doubt about any allegories and only
in ease in Faith. The hypocrites and the deniers may say, 'What does God
mean by this parable?' Thus, God lets go astray him who wills to go astray,
and guides him who wills to be guided. And no one knows the forces of your
Lord but He. This Qur'an is nothing but a Reminder to mankind. [See 2:26,
3:7. See 41:53 Soon, shall We show them Our signs in the utmost horizons
and within themselves until it becomes obvious to them that this Qur'an is
certainly the Truth. Is it not enough that your Lord is Witness to all things?
3:7, 9:31-33, 13:31, 14:48, 18:48, 41:53, 48:28, 51:20-21, 61:9]