Shame of a Nation: The 1% Rules, the 99% Lets Them!
BY RALPH NADER
“1. There has never been more access to food – domestic and imported – yet hunger is an ongoing problem everywhere. In the U.S. alone, 16.5 million children go to bed hungry and 20% of community college students are experiencing “food insecurity.”
2. Never have there been more communications technologies, yet it is harder to get through to people personally than fifty years ago.
3. Never have people been able to use their right to free speech so unencumbered, yet a torrent of lies are now spread so freely and are often unchallenged.
4. Never have there been higher corporate profits, yet staggering amounts of poverty and near-poverty remain along with stagnant wages.
5. Never have there been more medicines to alleviate pain, yet far too many of these pain killers have caused massive fatalities and addictions.
6. Never has there been more liquid corporate capital piled up, yet corporate investment is proportionately lower than before. Instead, CEO’s have burned over 7 trillion dollars in unproductive stock buybacks in the past decade.
7. Never have there been more exercise outlets, exercise machines and apps, yet obesity is still rampant.
8. Never have there been more tax breaks for big businesses, yet big businesses use so little of the windfalls for productive investments, good jobs and shoring up pensions.
9. Never has there been more free access to information, yet so little retained knowledge.
10. Never have there been more impressive muckraking film documentaries and books that expose corporate and government crimes, yet this media attention produces less impact and reform.”
COULD THIS BE THE PROBLEM IN PAKISTAN ?