HOW DO I KNOW THAT A CERTAIN REPORT FROM THE BIBLE, HISTORY OR HADITH IS CORRECT?
The True Criterion: Muslims are blessed to possess Al-Furqan, the True Criterion since its Authority and Authenticity are beyond doubt. The Qur’an is the final, unchangeable Word of God for all times. There is internal evidence in the Qur’an to that effect. Therefore, any saying ascribed to the exalted Prophet must be judged in that Light. The Qur’an is replete with the character traits of the exalted Prophet and sheds the only reliable light on his biography. Check any report with the Qur’an. Can’t this simple rule save Muslims the mental agony and waste of energy they have been suffering for centuries?
Some Basic Principles in the Qur’an: Now a very important question arises. Most people do not have sufficient knowledge of the Qur’an, so how can they check a hadith against it? The answer is made simple by the fact that the Qur’an establishes a few simple fundamental rules in this respect. Keeping these rules in mind can empower us to assess the authenticity of our history and hadith. Although anyone can get the following Principles from the Book, let us try to make things easy for everyone.
1. The Law of Requital (Qur’an 99:7-8) God’s Rule is the Rule of Law. As you sow, so shall you reap. Hence, reward and punishment are natural consequences of our own actions. Any contrary statement will be non-Qur’anic. God is not emotional like humans. Therefore, He does not reward and punish in excitement. There is no such thing as “qubooliat ki ghari” (a moment of acceptance of prayer), ‘shifa’at’ etc.
2. The Qur’an repeatedly impresses upon us that the Laws of God never change (17:77, 33:38, 33:62, 35:43, 40:85, 48:23). Hence, people do not fly in the air or walk on water. Nothing ‘supernatural’ takes place in the universe, so, physical miracles (karaamaat) are out of the question. The water flows downstream. The law of gravity is operative in Nature - Like poles repel each other, opposite poles attract each other - Metals are good conductors of heat and electricity, non-metals are not - Heat expands objects, cold contracts and so on. Yes, God is Able to do all things, yet He does not break His Own Laws. If the Divine Laws in Nature kept changing, no science would be possible.
3. No person can be held responsible for, or share the burden of another (53:38). So, there is no such thing as Hajj Badal (doing pilgrimage on behalf of another person) or praying, fasting on behalf of a deceased person. On the same basis, there is no such thing as Original Sin and then Atonement. All children are born with a clean slate (17:70). The only criterion of honor is our conduct (49:13).
4. No amount of praying, utterances or wishful thinking can make us good human beings or good Muslims. It is the actions that count (53:39). Counting names and words on rosary beads won’t help.
5. The Qur’an is the last Message of God and Muhammad (S) is His final Messenger. Religion has been perfected (5:3, 6:34, 15:9, 75:17) and therefore anyone claiming Revelation or knowledge of the future or of the Unseen after him in any form will either be an impostor or insane. Since the Qur’an is a complete, perfected Book, no “Imam” is authorized to make things Halaal or Haraam or make laws contrary to it.
6. There is no such thing as a separate group of “Awliya” (Friends of Allah). All good Muslims are His “Friends”. (3:68, 4:45, 7:196)
7. Iman (Faith) can be adopted only when it is based upon reason. Blind faith, born with faith is not acceptable to God. (12:108)
8. The only life worth living is helping people and that is the only way to Paradise. (13:17)
9. On the Authority of the Qur’an (33:21), Prophet Muhammad (S) was a model human being with noblest of character and conduct. No action of his was contrary to the Qur’an. Therefore, any history or Hadith going against this solid principle and insulting the Prophet must be considered a fabrication.
10. About the companions of the exalted Prophet, the Qur’an tells us that Allah approved them and they were pleased with Him since they had harmonized their will with Him. They were staunch and practical believers. (3:103, 8:63, 8:74, 9:100, 48:29) So, any accounts belittling their character must be considered false and unacceptable. Any history narrating fights between the noble companions must be dismissed as hoax. For example, the Battles of Jamal, Saffain, Nehrwan and Karbala never happened. All of these are forgeries of the Criminal Imam Tabari, the first ever ‘canonized’ historian of Islam. He died in 310 AH (300 years after the exalted Prophet).
The respected reader should have gained some insight into the Final Glorious Book of God. I sincerely hope that TSQ might have given you information that is quite contrary to the detracting propaganda.
Please do not hesitate to contact Shabbir Ahmed, M.D. for any questions or comments 24/7: