Dr. Shabbir’s Blog
Are Mahdi & Messiah Coming?
November 5th, 2009
Everyone seems to be waiting
Wider than the confession of Maududi is the fact that the dogma of a promised one is found almost in every religion of the world. When the Messiah of the Jews comes he will bestow upon them the everlasting kingdom. When the Messiah of the Christians shows up again, the faithful will be taken up to the heavens while the rest get annihilated at his hand. Likewise when the Meeta, Buddha II, arrives he will make Buddhism dominate all religions and turn every human being into a Mahatma. The Mithra of Zoroastrians will herald the return of the lost Maggian glory for his followers. The “Kalki Awtaar” will revive Hinduism to total victory over the rest of the world. The Tri-Thanker of Jainism will unify all human beings on earth into his religion. Then all people will become ‘Bugs Bunnies’ eating plants only. It is amazing to note that even some ancient tribes of Africa, Australia and the Americas charm themselves with this “redeemer” concept.
Let’s conceive for a moment that dozens of promised ones have appeared in the world for a final round trying to prevail over one another. Violence, wars, massive blood shed and total chaos ensue as far as our imagination can take us.
MIRZA GHULAM AHMAD
(1835? to 1908)
The most interesting claim was made by Mirza Ghulam Ahmad of Qadiyan, India in 1888 CE that he was the Mahdi and the Messiah (two in one).
Step One: First he relates that God made him Mary. Then God exercised his power of manhood (i.e. performed sex on Mary Mirza). Mirza as Mary became pregnant. Then Jesus was born. Mary disappeared and now Mirza Ghulam Ahmad is Jesus, the son of Mary. (Ref: Islamic Sacrifie by Qazi Yar Mohammad Qadiyani). Read and enjoy again before going to the next step: How Mirza became Mahdi!
Mirza Ghulam writes in his book Shahadat-ul-Qur’an pg 61- Step Two: It is written in the Bukhari (collection of Ahadith) that a voice will announce from the heavens, “This Mirza is Mahdi, the Caliph of Allah.”
Tragic for Mirza, there is no such thing remotely mentioned in Bukhari. And Mirza was the sole figure to be blessed with that voice!
Mirza Ji went onto claim that he was all in one, the holy Prophet, Mahdi, Jesus, Krishna plus the promised one of all religions.
Countless people have claimed to be the promised one, the Mahdi or the Messiah in the last many centuries. It is a strange paradox that people keep waiting and waiting intently for someone to come. But as soon as some priest, monk, mullah, sufi, yogi, mystic, makes the claim, they raise furor against him. They even attempt to kill him!
The real problem with the dogma of a promised one is that it serves as opium for the masses. It snatches from them the will to strive and struggle. Well, someone will come to solve their problems and raise them to glory. The situation is quite understandable as far as other religions are concerned since they do not have Al-Qur’an, the Criterion between the right and the wrong. But it is strange that the Muslims that regard the Qur’an as their authoritative Book keep groping in the dark. We will see shortly that the Final Word of God very clearly rules out the coming of another promised one after Prophet Muhammad (S). We have documented that Maududi in his Tafheem vol 4 pg 163 admits that there is no place for this utopian dogma in the Qur’an.
SIR SYED AHMED KHAN
(1817 to 1898)
Jesus was never raised to heaven
That great wizard of a genius was a commentator of the Qur’an par excellence. Follow his pen.
“Our (Muslim) commentators of the Qur’an have blindly followed the Christian traditions to forge such Ahadith. These so-called experts have assigned totally erroneous meaning to “Raf’a” or the raising of the prophets Jesus (3:55) and Enoch (19:56). The Qur’an absolutely does not portray the raising of these prophets bodily up into the heavens. It describes raising them in honor. The prophecies of the coming of Mahdi and Messiah have been introduced into our history by non-Muslims. The Qur’an is absolutely free of these ridiculous statements. (Ref. Tafseer vol I part 7 pg 123, vol 2 several pages)
DR SIR ALLAMA MUHAMMAD IQBAL
(1877 to 1938)
The most outstanding scholar of the Qur’an, Sir Iqbal does not subscribe to the view of ascension of Jesus up into the heavens or to his second coming. Nor does Sir Iqbal see Mahdi as a specific person.
“You O Preacher, have placed God on top of the heavens
What kind of God is He that shies away from his servants?”
See another example:
“He whose self wakes up recognizing the human potential
He is the Mahdi and the promise one of the latter times”
“Look at God appearing on the minaret of your heart
And stop waiting for the advent of Mahdi and Jesus”
In his English writings against the Qadiyanis, Sir Iqbal thrashed the dogma of a promised one as a Magian and a Jewish heritage.
These two noted scholars of the twentieth century in their respective explanations of the Qur’an very forcefully and convincingly dismiss the notion of the advent of a Messiah or Mahdi. (Ref Tarjamanul Qur’an Urdu and Ilhamur Rahman Arabic, commentary on Verse 3:55)
MUFTI SHEIKH MUHAMMAD ‘ABDUH
(1849 to 1906)
The celebrated scholar of Islam, Muhammad Sheikh Abd-e-Rabbuhu of Egypt maintains that the stories of a living Jesus in the heavens and his second coming were inserted into our Ahadith centuries ago by Christian scholars so that Christianity may seem superior to I
(1830 to 1899)
This great torchbearer of Muslim unity said, “My intensive research in the Qur’an, Hadith and history has taught me that any human being who tries to save the planet and make it a better place to live is the Mahdi and the Messiah in his own right.”
THE FINAL WORD, AL-QUR’AN
* 3:55 “O Jesus! I will cause you to die of natural causes and I will exalt you in honor and I will clear you of the slander of the disbelievers. —.
* The word Raf’a means honoring or exalting. “Nowhere in the Quran is there any warrant for the popular belief that God has taken up Jesus bodily into heaven.” (The Message of the Qur’an, Tafseer by Allama Muhammad Asad 3:55 and 4:158)
* 19:56 And make mention of Idris (Enoch) in the Book. Verily, he was a man of truth, a Prophet.
* 19:57 And We raised him to a high station of honor. (Allama Muhammad Asad, The Message of The Qur’an)
* The great Austrian scholar and exponent Allama Muhammad Asad writes that the very common belief that
* Jesus was taken up to the heaven in body is absolutely non-Qur’anic and, therefore, it has no merit.
* 21:34 We have never granted everlasting life to any human before you. If you die, can they be immortal?
* 3:144 Remember that Muhammad is only a Messenger. The Messengers before him have passed on. So, if he died or were slain, would you turn about on your heels?
* This verse makes clear that Jesus too has died. He has passed away and was not raised to the heavens. When Muhammad (S) died not one of his companions complained why he was not raised to heaven like Jesus and Enoch.
* 5:3 This Day, I have perfected your DEEN for you, completed My favor upon you, and chosen for you Islam as the System of Life.
* 6:115 Perfected is the Word of your Lord in Truth and Justice. None can change His Words and His Laws. And He is the Profound Hearer, the Knower.
* Hence, no further Divine revelation, no further messenger or ‘promised one’ is to come.
* 33:40 Muhammad is not the father of any man among you, but he is Allah’s Messenger and the Closing Seal of all Prophets. And Allah, indeed, is Knower of all things.
* Hence, there is no room for a Divinely guided one to come.
* 15:9 Behold! It is We Ourselves Who have sent down this Reminder, and verily, it is We Who shall truly guard it.
* Therefore no further prophet, Mahdi or Messiah is necessary.
* 21:7 For, before you We sent none but men to whom We granted Revelation. Hence, (tell the deniers), “Ask the followers of previous Reminders if you know not.” (12:109, 16:43).
* 21:8 We gave them not bodies that won’t require food, nor were they immortal.
* 5:75 The Messiah, son of Mary, was no other than a Messenger, like other Messengers before him who passed on. And his mother was a woman of truth. Both of them were human beings who had to eat food (like all other mortals). See how clearly We explain Our verses for them and note how they keep wandering in thought! (These ignorant people make human beings that eat and walk about in markets, ascend to heaven with their bodies!)
* 29:51 Why! Is it not enough of a miracle for them that We have bestowed upon you this Book that is conveyed to them? [The Qur’an must be Sufficient]
* 48:23 — And never will you find any change in Allah’s Law. (Bodily ascension is not a Law of Allah. Returning from heaven to this world too, is not His law).
* 13:11 Behold, Allah never changes a nation’s condition unless they change their inner selves.
* 13:38 And certainly We sent Messengers before you, and We appointed for them wives and children as well.—.
Please stop here and think for a moment: Why would God send Mahdi and Jesus to change the condition of a nation? Doesn’t this dogma collide with the rock-solid Laws of the Qur’an? [13:11 above is sufficient]
With God being Omnipresent, the ascension of Jesus or any other human being, and getting seated at His right hand makes no sense. It confines God to some corner in the heavens. It also gives Him an anthropomorphic manlike image which is obviously Biblical. It is certainly not Qur’anic.
Jamaluddin Afghani, Mufti Muhammad Abduh, Sir Syed Ahmed Khan, Allama Iqbal, Allama Muhammad Asad, Maurice Buccaille, Allama Inayatullah Mashriqi, the brilliant sons of the Ummah, and countless others believe that bodily ascension of Jesus confines God to a certain heaven while the Qur’an makes it very clear that God is present every where.
For further details: WHEN IS THE MESSIAH COMING? http://ourbeacon.com/?page_id=11605
Shabbir, a lifelong student.