Salam to non-Muslims .... Assalam alaikum or Salamun alaikum
Many Muslims think that saying Salam to non-Muslims is forbidden. It doesn't make sense. Moreover, the "admonition" violates the Qur’an.
The Mullahs are extremely short-sighted, narrow-minded and grudging. They bear grudge even against Muslims of another sect. They forget that Islam means peace, and submission to God.
The background here is a fabricated historical anecdote called Hadith.
It is reported that the exalted Prophet had forbidden Muslims to say "Salam" to non-Muslims. Once some Jews came to him and maliciously said "Assaam alaikum" (death be upon you). The exalted Prophet responded, "Wa alaikum" (and upon you).
[Please note that the Qur’anic greeting is “Salamun alaikum” and not Assalam alaikum. As-Salam is the attributive name of Allah. Could the Prophet (S) violate the Qur’an? He must have been saying, "Salamun alaikum". Secondly, even if someone insulted him, he always remained composed and pleasant.]
6:54 When those who believe in Our revelations come to you, say, Salamun Alaikum (Peace be upon you! = Salutes to you!)
13:24 Saying, "Salamun alaikum (Peace be upon you), since you remained steadfast in your commitment! Oh, what an excellent final home!"
19:47 Abraham said, "Salamun alaik (Peace be upon you, singular)! I will pray to my Lord for your forgiveness. For, He is ever Kind to me.”
28:55 (Additionally) whenever they hear vain talk, they withdraw from it decently and say, "To us our deeds and to you yours; Salamun alaikum (Peace be upon you), we do not seek to join the ignorant.”
39:73 And those who are mindful of their Lord will be escorted into the Garden as communities until they reach it and its gates are opened. The keepers of the Garden will say to them, “Peace be upon you! You have done well! Enter, then, herein to abide.”
- Mankind is one community. (Too many verses to mention)
- 41:34 Since good conduct and bad conduct cannot be alike, repel evil words and deeds in a way that is decent. And, behold, he, between whom and you there was enmity, may become as though he was your bosom friend!
- 4:86 Good deeds that contribute to the well being of the society begin with kindness (2:177). When someone greets you, respond with similar or more courteous greetings. Allah reckons all things. Anyone who contributes towards peace and betterment of life, do as much or better for him.
(Note that "death be upon you" cannot be a greeting)
- 60:7 It may well be that Allah will bring about affection between you and those whom you now consider enemies. Verily, Allah is Able to do all things - He is the Powerful Appointer of His Laws. And Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.
- 68:3 And, behold (O Prophet), yours will be an everlasting reward.
- 68:4 For, verily, you (O Prophet) are of the noblest moral character!