Can anybody tell us why the Muslim World is in the ditch from the past several hundred years in spite of fasting, prayers, Hajj etc.??
What will it take for us to acknowledge that Allah is not responding to our prayers? Can't we take a hint.
If the medicine is not curing us, we need to question doctors of Islam who are spoon feeding us to re examine the medicine or check their prescription.
May be the reason is, as they say "First deserve, then desire". Having covered the Qur'an with all kinds of man made books, we are blocking the light that was supposed to drive the darkness away? Having divided ourselves into sects, which is against the Qur'an, perhaps we no longer qualify?
We all engage so much in religion especially in Ramadan that one would hope the Muslims were the most admired and trustworthy, honest, compassionate, fair, progressive people in the world.
We pray and fast, and sit in Etkaf but in Muslim countries we:
- Suppress the women and the weak in society
- Exploit the poor
- We have no rule of Law
- For the poor we have no access to inexpensive justice
- We have no social welfare
- We have dirty and filthy streets and neighbourhoods
- Our poor sick cannot afford medicine and treatment
- In some countries, we still marry of 10 year girls to older men
- We don't trust our police and courts
- We sell adultrated food and medicines
- We have bribery and corruption and nepotism.
- Our rates of literacy are pathetic
- Extremists among us kill innocents in the name of God and feel no remorse
- We treat our minorities like 3rd class citizens
- We have not contributed anything for the benefit of mankind in science and medical technology
- Our widows suffer with children because our states don't have any programs to support them
- We ask favours from long dead "holy" men and worhip their graves all in the name of God
- We engage in sectarianism with each sect thinking it is on the right path
- We rationalize defeat (in all areas) as victory and feel superior about it
Yet, we are big on prayers, fasting (many times more in the month of Ramadan) and hajj!!
Does that make sense?
And then we wonder why our prayers are not answered.